Many younger couples buy their first home when they decide to start a family and want to ensure that they have plenty of space to accommodate everyone. However, as the years go by and the children move out to start their own lives, couples often find that their home is too large and there is too much “stuff” that has accumulated over the years. This is especially true when the retirement years are quickly approaching. So if you want it to be easier to sell your FLorida home when you are ready, here are some helpful downsizing tips:
- Go Through Everything & Make Donate, Toss, Keep & Sell Piles – while this may seem like a lot of work, you will be amazed at how many things you have forgotten about and have not used in years. Going through all of the boxes packed up in your garage or storage shed will ensure that you eliminate a lot of excess things. Create piles of items to donate, toss, sell & keep. This will help you stay organized through the process.
- Evaluate Your Furniture – do you still need that huge coffee table or massive sectional that you have had all these years? Think about your future home after retiring and keep only those furnishings that will fit. Instead of that giant entertainment center, why not consider mounting your TV on the wall? Remember, there is just going to be two of you now, so start thinking smaller.
- Get Rid of Duplicates – do you need two sets of fine China or 4 sets of wine glasses? Is the second desk in your home office necessary or can you share one? There are many situations where individuals buy two or three similar items and only use one of them. Keep your favorite items and donate or sell the others.
- The “One Year” Rule – this is a rule that applies to your closets. Turn all of the hangers backward and whenever you wear an item, turn the hanger around and leave it in that position. Any item that is still hanging backward at the end of a year should be given to a charity or sold in your moving sale.
- Repurpose Sentimental Items and Pass Them Down – while it is okay to hang on to these items, having too many of them can be burdensome when it comes time to move. Your children or grandchildren may want to keep certain items in the family such as artwork, certain pieces of clothing, old Christmas ornaments or old toys.
If you want to learn more about downsizing your Florida home and selling it quickly when you retire, call or text Homeinc today at (888) 850-2636.